A fresh tomato is one of the most versatile summer product offerings. They are usually said to be a vegetable in the culinary world, but some consider it a fruit. Botanically, it is a fruit, but it becomes a vegetable that helps create delicious meals when it enters the kitchen. Fresh tomatoes are low in calories and have great nutritional values. It has various health benefits and helps to make a wide range of meals. This guide will explain everything that one would need to know about tomatoes, from all of its benefits and ways of cooking.
Tomatoes have a water content of 95%, and the remaining 5% consists of fiber and carbohydrates. A 100-gram tomato has good nutritional stats. The following are the nutritional stats of a 100-gram tomato- it is low in calories, only 18; the protein content is 0.9 grams; contains 3.9 grams carbohydrates, 2.6 grams sugar, 1.2 grams fiber, and 0.2 grams of fat. These statistics reflect that a tomato is excellent for the body, making it a healthy snack.
Improves heart’s health
Consuming fresh tomatoes is proven to improve the heart conditions of a person. Heart diseases like strokes and heart attacks are widespread occurrences. Laboratories have conducted various experiments that claim middle-aged people have low levels of lycopene, increasing the chances of heart diseases. Having a fresh tomato benefits the body from inflammations and replenishes lycopene in the body.
Prevents cancer and skin problems
Cancer is one such medical condition where there is an uncontrollable growth of abnormal cells that often takes over the body, leading to death. Studies claimed a link between tomatoes and low incidences of lung, prostate, and stomach cancers. Tomatoes have a high concentration of carotenoids, which protects women from breast cancers. Tomatoes are also helpful for the skin as tomatoes, and tomato-based meals can protect people from sunburns.
How does one cook with a fresh tomato?
Tomato is a versatile vegetable and plays a part in almost all the cuisines around the world. Tomatoes can be broiled, roasted, sauteed, cooked, fried, and stewed, along with other ingredients in a dish. There are several things to keep in mind when cooking with a tomato. Always boil tomatoes with the skin as it helps to hold the shape. Do not cook it in an aluminum pot as it will leave a metallic taste when eating a tomato. One can add sugar or honey if he or she wants to reduce the acidity of the tomatoes.
Categories Simillar to Fresh Tomatoes includes Fresh Spinach, Portabello Mushrooms and Fresh Beets